Saturday 29 March 2014

How to become a Photography Assistant

Assisting is without question the best way to learn how to become a professional photographer. School and weekend seminars offer you the basics in image creation, shooting, retouching and final output but it's in the field where you really learn how to become a true professional. When I say true pro I mean how to deal with a professional set, how to talk to clients, shoot management and post shoot process.  

So how do you become an assistant? Well the best way is to simply email a photographer whose work you like and offer your services.

But be cautious! I get several emails a month from people asking offering to assist. Most of whom don't ever get a chance to assist with me because they put shit in their emails that get them axed before I ever have a chance to consider them.
Here are some tips to the aspiring assistant to help you get you foot in the door with that professional who work you admire so much.

1. NEVER put your website or a link to your work in your initial email.
Personally I don't give a shit if you take nice photographs. I'm not hiring a photographer.  I'm hiring an assistant. If you do put your link in the email we will check it. If your work sucks I'm not hiring you. If you work is better than mine I'm not hiring you. If you seem like you have your shit together I'm not hiring you either. So really no good comes out of self-promotion to the guy you want to learn from.  

2.This shit is for real.
Don't email me saying you have no idea what you are doing and simply want to learn from me. I'm not a school.  I am bringing you on so you can help me not so you can learn. When I'm shooting a famous person I have no time to train and show you the ropes. You can be green but you also have to provide something to me...  Send me a resume of what lighting gear you are familiar with using Elinchrom? Prophoto? Even if you just know how to use a reflector... If you don't know the gear head down to a camera store and check it out for free. You are going to have to do some ground work yourself to get ready for this. Really want to win me over? Tell me you have your own grip kit (a lowepro backpack filled with tape, box cutters, clamps, etc....)  These kind of things are going to make me want to hire you.

A perfect basic grip kit
3. Understand who you are emailing.
I shoot campaigns for large sports retailers. So you should know that there is a good chance I if I'm shooting for these guys I already have a team. At least one full time assistant(which I do)... so offer your services as a secondary assistant if ever needed. If you are emailing an industrial photographer let him know you have a hard hat and safety gear. If you are emailing a wedding photographer let them know you come dressed as a professional to all weddings.

4. Do NOT Cut and paste your email.
Seriously. I get several emails a month for assisting and can easily see when the emails are for me,  or when they are simply generic.  When emailing your photographer bring up one of their images on their site.  Maybe one that's buried deep in their portfolios. This will show us that you spent some time on my site and know what I do.


5. Student will become the Teacher.
Pros can't survive without assistants. All pros know this. And don't kid yourself we are well aware that the assistant we are using is inevitably going to go on their own and become our direct competition... It's a fucked up thing knowing that your assistant, who you need to make money, will inevitable be your competition and take money away from you. Think of it.  We are constantly training your replacement... it's not fun but it's a reality of the business for us. Yes there is a lot of work and logically the assistant who turns pro wont bankrupt me but that thought is still in the back of our minds. We are humans. So anything you can do as an aspiring assistant to ease that fear is going to bode well for you. Saying that you are planning to work in another market in 2 years is a good opener.   

6. Money
If the photographer gets back to you and asks for your rates.... NEVER GIVE THEM ONE... Tell them that you are well aware that each job has a different rate and this yours varies depending on the PHOTOGRAPHERS budget. This will be music to our ears. Sometimes we get a magazine shoot that pays $400 all in, other times we make $2500 on a shoot. So the more your rates can vary the more we like you.

I hope these tips help. Photography is a fun and challenging career. It takes hard work and persistence. But if you keep at it things will work out.  Good Luck


an angry photographer.  

1 comment: